Monday, January 9, 2012

The most WOnderfuL time of the year...

December is my favorite month of the year. Holiday parties, Santa pub crawl, my cookie exchange party, sending out cards to all my friends, decorating and putting up the tree... just to list a few.
My little tree!

Every year for Christmas, my family and I travel up to Mt. Carmel, Illinois (a very small town where my dad grew up). His brother (my Uncle Steve) still lives there with his wife (my Aunt Brenda). I have quite a few cousins and second cousins who live in the surrounding area too (some only a few hours away), along with two of my dad's sisters, Aunt Mary and Aunt Carol. My dad's youngest sister (Aunt Sarah) lives in Sarasota.

My parents and I use to drive the 17 hours north (over the course of two days) sometimes encountering snow and terrible traffic, but these days we fly and its still an adventure. This year, our second connecting flight had to turn around due to engine problems... luckily not an emergency, but three planes was enough for me. 

Years have gone by, cousins have grown up, others have moved away and one very special loved one (Grandma Berta) passed away. Although the family members in attendance may be different from year to year, we still have our Sawyer family Christmas dinner/get together. Sometimes there are 30 of us! It may not always be on Christmas day, but the day always feels the same :)



Why does this day always feel the same? One word: Traditions. We keep them going every year. The silly stuff, the laughter and of course the cooking and cookies. 

Here are a few of the reasons I love visiting Mt. Carmel...

1. Breakfast Tort: 
We have this every year on Christmas day. I have helped my Aunt Brenda make it in the past, but I haven't tried the recipe myself yet. This will be something I will make for my family in the future on Christmas day :)


2. The Cookie Buffet 
Every year my Aunt Brenda and her mother (Gie) spend days making cookies, jams, pickles, salsa and so many yummy treats. Orange, Almond and Lemon Sugar Cookies, Pecan Tassies, Coconut Macaroons, Molasses cookies, Caramels, Buckeyes, Rum Balls, Bourbon Balls... and the list goes on. When everyone comes over for the big dinner, its always my job to set out the cookies!

If you love sweets as much as I do, self control can be an issue when this is sitting on a table in the den...

The cookie buffet.. its always open for breakfast, lunch, dinner...

Peach, Grape, Blackberry... take your pick!

3. Stockings
Probably my favorite part of Christmas morning in Mt. Carmel... you never know what you are going to get in your stocking. Stockings are special because its usually only the Florida Sawyers and Mt. Carmel Sawyers. This year my brother and his wife were unable to make the trip, Sarah (Sawyer) Hager and her husband Glenn spent time with other family in Indy and Bradlee and Aunt Sarah went on a cruise. So, it was just me and Trevor :)

I always look forward to the seasonings from Trader Joe's and random trinkets, however Santa really knows how to make us laugh. Past stocking stuffers have included nose flutes and spy glasses. This year it was all about the animal noses and mustaches!

Black cat nose... and i think monkey?

Do you like my mustache?


Stockings also include... scratch off cards (I won $5 this year!), mini booze bottles,

and tons of Lindor Truffles and Ghiradelli chocolates. 

Trevor and I traded these and mini booze bottles. He likes the Carmel and I like the peppermint and dark chocolate squares. 

4. Setting the table
So when it comes to preparing for the big family dinner it requires a long day of cooking, baking and of course setting the table. I tend to stay out of the kitchen simply because Aunt Brenda has it down to a science, especially with the help of my mother. Where I am most helpful is with setting the table and washing the dishes after. This year, because the dishwasher was broken, we used chinet.. hehe... usually its all Fiesta plates and silver... lots of washing.

If I am in the kitchen, I am helping to bake the cakes... surprised?


5. Poppers
After dinner and everyone has exchanged gifts, its time for poppers! We pass them out and count to three! Little weird toys like a top, yo-yo and paper with jokes on them go flying everywhere! Some of us read the stupid jokes out loud to see which ones are the worst.. and of course, we wear our paper crowns.


This is Tucker. He is the latest addition to the Mt. Carmel Sawyers. He wanted a popper too! 

Awesome dog... by the way :) 

Trevor, Brooke, me Anna in our crowns...

6. Take me to Taco
Taco Tierra might be one of my favorite places to eat. I have to eat here at least once a day while in Mt. Carmel. Every time we go my cousin knows everyone working there!  GREAT TACOS!


7. Family...
(2nd cousins) Brooke, Evan, Anna, Ian, Addison, Michael;  Trevor (1st cousins), me. 
Missing: Brent, Val, Jonathan, Jennifer, Bradlee, Sarah, Glenn... am I forgetting anyone?



Mom, Dad and I in the Sleigh


My poor Aunt Brenda was under the weather for most of this year's Christmas festivities. I didn't get any good pictures of us together that didn't include Pj's and a bath robe... so i decided not to post any... hehe. She is real, I promise! 


8. A White Christmas

Views from Aunt Brenda & Uncle Steve's front porch. It snowed for one day this year :) Just enough!


I really enjoy watching the snow from inside :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment