Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011 was a Hoot of a year...

So as one of my many new year resolutions, I am going to keep up with this blog and also use it to share with my friends and family! I Promise! So here is what's been going on in a quick 2011 re-cap.

In early December 2010 (yes I know that's a little further back than I said... but I have to start there) My brother and sister-in-law had a beautiful baby girl, Avery Elizabeth Sawyer... This year has been a blast with her. Here are a few photos of her from this year.
Avery Sawyer: December 2010
Jan-Feb
May
July
November 
December 2011

In January 2011 I took a quick trip over the Jacksonville, FL to surprise my friend Rachel for her 27th birthday. Her boyfriend, (now Fiance) David planned a big birthday dinner and outing for her. She really hates surprises, so I had to go! She will be getting married July 27, 2012. 
Me, Catherine, Kendra, Britnee and Rachel! 

The Annual Gasparilla Pirate Festival and Parade!
From left: Alyssa, Me, Whitney, Caroline, Andrea

In February 2011 I landed my dream job at the Glazer Children's Museum. I manage revenue based programs for children ages 4-10, such as camps, scout programs and birthday parties. It has been a challenging yet amazing year, and I am so blessed to have a great boss, team and staff to work with. 
Me at my desk on my first day! 

My friend Ali who I met in our Museum Studies class @ USF. She interned at the same time I got my job. We only worked together for a short period of time. She now works at the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach. I miss her! 


In September we held our first annual Board Games Bubbly and Brew event. I helped to bring in our hosting sponsor (Winters and Yonker) thanks to my dear friend Whitney :) This is a photo of my amazing boss, Sarah (on left), her wife Annie and I at the event. 

Whitney and I on the Terrace at the event. 

A big perk of my job is that I get to meet famous celebrities such as Goofy, Buzz Light Year, Woody, Curious George, and my favorite... Cookie Monster. 

To celebrate my new job, my friend Kelly drove over from Palm City to spend the weekend with me!
Me, Kelly and Andrea @ Fly Bar in Downtown Tampa. 

In March 2011 I traveled to the city of Boston and the Cape to visit my amazing friend Amy. It was a little too cold for me, but we managed to see and do so many amazing things. I went to the Boston Children's Museum, the Science Museum, The Fine Arts Museum and so much more... 
First Stop on my trip... professional development visit! 

Amy and I at the Fine Arts Museum... I could have spent an entire day in this place. 

I also tried my first oyster, a Chatham oyster to be exact... I wasn't too thrilled, but when in New England! 

And the Science Museum had an amazing collection of birds... Beautiful Owls!

After two days in Boston, we drove out the Cape where Amy lives. This is a photo of the Wellfleet Sanctuary where she works. Because Amy had to work, she let me borrow her car so I could explore the north half of the cape. I went on a search for light houses! 
First light house I found...

And the second!

It was so great to spend time with Amy. We have so much in common when it comes to museums, aquariums and the thrill of teaching children about the ocean.

In May 2011 My friends Mike and Amelia tied the knot in Sarasota, FL. I met Mike and Amelia through my friend Catherine and her husband Taylor. Mike and Amelia now live in Virginia Beach, but they were so much fun to hang out with when they lived here in Tampa! I miss them! 
Catherine was a bridesmaid in their wedding.
Catherine, Amelia, and I at the reception. It was such a great time! 


Also in May 2011 I went on a Bachelorette Cruise for my friend Catherine R. She and I worked at the Swamp together in my last year of college (2006). All the girls I became friends with while working there have stayed in touch and we get together a few times a year. The cruise was a quick 3 day trip to Nassau and back, but for my first cruise, it was quite the trip!

We had fun getting fake air brush tattoos... it helped us fit in with the characters on the boat ;) 

In June 2011, Catherine and Ryan Dickinson were married in Key Largo, Fl. 
The Wedding was an absolute blast!

From left to right: Stacey, Lindsey, Me, Kristen, Jenna, Desire and Catherine (the bride!)

Also in June 2011 I flew to Destin/Pensacola/Niceville to visit Katrina, who was my roommate for two years while living in Chi Omega. We had a blast hanging out and going fishing!

My first Red Snapper!


In July 2011 I turned 27! I had a great day with my family. Yummy Food too! 
The Birthday Feast!
Brennan (my nephew).. the cake boss
The finished product! It was very tasty! 
My mother gave me these beautiful Ceramic Owl Bookends. Love them!

Also in July 2011... 
My friend Christian was in town for work. His company brings him to Tampa twice a year. Christian and I have been friends since 2002. He was like a big brother to me in college. 

My friend Caroline turned 30 and we celebrated @ Ocean Prime!

My cousin Sarah spent a few days with me while she was visiting from Virginia. I had to take her to the Bern's dessert room! 


In August 2011 I attended the Wazoo Beerfest @ the Lowry Park Zoo... It was extremely hot and overcrowded, but I was with good company. 
Anita, Kyle, Stash and I @ Wazoo

I also attended my very first Painting with a Twist class... It was a blast!
I was happy with my results!


In September 2011 I drove to the east coast, Vilano Beach to be exact, to visit my very close and longest friend Catherine and her husband Taylor. They had recently told me they were pregnant and expecting a baby in March 2012. I have know Catherine since I was born and we have remained close over the years. 
Taylor bought a paddle board and Layla (their dog) wanted to check it out too!


Also in September 2011...  My mom's birthday!
Me, mom, Jonathan and Brennan!

My dad retired...
Me, Mom, Dad, Jonathan in front of the new Lake City Airport Terminal. My dad received the grant to build the terminal and had overseen the project for the last year. He retired just before the grand opening. 
So proud of my dad :) 

My friend Lesley's birthday is also in September! I met Lesley when I moved to Tampa three years ago. She has become one of my closest friends here. 
(From left to right) Michelle, Desire, Lesley, Karen and I @ Yard of Ale

September/October 2011.... GATOR FOOTBALL!
I was able to attend two games this year, UF vs Tennessee and UF vs Alabama. I had a great time tailgating and catching up with all my friends. 
Me, Whitney, Amy and Stacey

Whitney and I @ the Tennessee Game!

Chi Omega Reunion Tailgate.. 
Me, Katrina, Dani and Kelly!

Me, Sonya and Stacey

Our Chi Omega house mother, Susan Willis always comes by our tailgate to say hello! 

Always such a beautiful sight... It never gets old!

Also in October 2011...  Red Bull Flutag came to downtown Tampa...
Me, Amy and Stacey


I joined a Mariachi Band...

Met the cutest ring tail lemur at work...

Went to an 80's Pool Party to celebrate Desire's Birthday... 

And celebrated Alyssa's 30th at Malio's!

In November 2011 there was Thanksgiving...
Brennan and I at Thanksgiving Dinner!

And in December 2011... Avery turned 1...


I hosted my 3rd annual cookie exchange...

And attended the Santa Pub Crawl to benefit Pediatric Cancer Foundation. I was Leg Lamp and my friend Mary went as Ralphie from the Christmas Story. 


So my attempt to give a quick re-cap of 2011 was more detailed than I expected. However, I hope you enjoyed reading/viewing this as much as I enjoyed putting it together.  

Looking back on 2011 makes me realize even more how wonderful life is, especially having love and support of an amazing family and wonderful friends. 

 I left off Christmas and New Years because I plan on writing separate posts for each, so stay tuned! 











1 comment:

  1. So excited you started a blog :) You have been a busy girl this past year! Glad I got to see you (albeit only once) at the bama game this year. This blog will be a fun way for me to keep up with you!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete